Established in 2006, MWA is an internationally-based collaboration of Muslim women writers and advocates working together to counter negative and inaccurate perceptions regarding members of the Muslim community and the Islamic faith.

Welcome!

Welcome to MWA's new home on the web! Please be patient while we take a bit of time to get more of our member works published. Bookmark us and stay tuned, insha'Allah!

Monday, January 26, 2015

New Views From a Tiny Isle by MWA's Fatimah Jackson Best

Fatimah Jackson-Best shares how her move from a major city to a small island has refreshed her connection to Earth and Allah. Photos by Miles Miller.

On 14 April 2010 I left my hometown of Toronto, Canada for a 10-day trip to the Caribbean nation of Barbados. Four years, three apartments and one marriage later, I’m still here. Along the way I’ve experienced many challenges, but in spite of them, I have no regrets about uprooting and moving here. This tiny island has fundamentally changed who I am and how I view the world – for the better.

Barbados has always held a special place in my heart. As a little girl, the stories my father would tell me and my brothers about this magical land shaped my imagination before I’d even set foot on its shores. (read more)

--
ABOUT MWA MEMBER FATIMAH JACKSON-BEST
Fatimah Jackson-Best is a healthcare researcher, advocate and academic. While studying for her PhD in public health science at the University of Toronto, she relocated from the city of her birth to the island where she traces half of her heritage: Barbados. Her PhD research project focuses on Caribbean women's maternal health; however, her interests also include the health of Muslim communities. Fatimah is passionate about supporting local farmers, active lifestyles and clean living. She believes that we all have the right to good physical, spiritual and mental health. 

No comments:

Post a Comment