Established in 2006, MWA is an internationally-based collaboration of Muslim women writers and advocates working together to counter negative and inaccurate perceptions regarding members of the Muslim community and the Islamic faith.

Welcome!

Welcome to MWA's new home on the web! Please be patient while we take a bit of time to get more of our member works published. Bookmark us and stay tuned, insha'Allah!

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

MWA Member and Freelance Writer, Ruth Nasrullah on her Conversion/Reversion to Islam …

In this interview, Ruth Nasrullah, an American Revert, talks to Muslimah Voices about her reversion to Islam and shares some her experiences and challenges as a revert Muslim woman.


Medium: This interview was conducted via Email. Hence, the Question and Answer format.
"When I read the Quran I recognized it as truth. I always say to people it’s as though if I had been raised without mirrors and someone held one in front of me - I wouldn't know what I looked like but I would have recognized myself. I don’t remember any particular surah or ayat."
Ruth Nasrullah: I’m 51, live in Houston, originally from New Jersey, freelance journalist, involved in several community activities. I’m married and have an adult daughter and two adult stepsons.
My dad is Jewish and my Mom was raised American Baptist and when they married they both pretty much left religion behind.  They raised my sister and me free to choose our own faith practice, if any.  I went to Sunday school at a local Unitarian church for a couple years, where I learned about the faiths of the world.  In high school I briefly considered Hinduism, but that was mostly because of the Beatles, incense, clothing and similar things that have little to nothing to do with the faith itself.  During my senior year I joined the local United Synagogue Youth and considered formally converting to Judaism.  (Because I had a non-Jewish mother, I would have had to convert.)  Eventually, however, I saw Judaism as too insular. Read more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment